Instagram

Tuesday 18 March 2014

Shanghai

So I went to China for the weekend.
More specifically, I went to China for the Chinese New Year holiday weekend. At the end of January (2 months ago, I KNOW) everyone had a Thursday and Friday off work so up I got at 5am to head to Incheon airport. What should have been a 90 minute flight turned into 5 and a half hour journey! We took off from Incheon on time and as the plane was circling above what I had assumed was Shanghai I was told we’d flown on an extra hour and were landing at a small airport where we’d have to wait for the "fog" (it was definitely smog - check this out) to leave Shanghai. I peered out of the window once we’d landed and managed to Google Map where we were from the name of the airport (thankfully written in English and not Chinese). We were in Fuzhou just a little less than 400 miles south west of Shanghai. OK. No big deal, but what now?... We wait. And we wait. And we wait and we wait and we waited two hours before we started trundling back to the runway to take off again.

Gang Around Town
Four hours later than expected I made it to my Hosteling International hostel. I was just in time to shower and change and head out for a walk and dinner with the other 7 people in my dorm room that night. It was a great mix of people. Two Aussies, two Germans, a Dutch guy, a Mexican, a Canadian, and me! We walked through the old town and saw the Lantern Festival then headed for food. We found a small noodle place and sat on plastic stool on the side of the road – it was delicious and I was really full for just £1.20! Afterwards we walked towards the riverfront and the area known as The Bund. As it was NYE we’d expected to see lots of fireworks and from about 7pm onwards we could hear short burst all around us but the “fog” that had prevented my plane from landing earlier in the day had descended again making it tricky to spot them. We left the Bund area and went to a couple of bars. This turned out to be a great decision because one of the guys who’d been in Shanghai for a few days suggested a bar on the 11th floor of a nearby building where we played darts and pool, and as the clock struck midnight we were treated to an excellent fireworks display.


Financial District
I heard that my roommates were surprised to see me gone when they eventually woke up the next day but I had a lot to see in only a short trip so I spared no time in heading to the financial district. The Shanghai World Financial Centre, Jin Mao Tower and the new Shanghai Centre form just the beginning of an impressive skyline. The Lujiazui financial area is filled with dozens of skyscrapers and is fascinating to wander around. One of the most popular photo spots is in front of the Oriental Pearl Tower. By lunch time I’d made my way to the French Concession where I sat people-watching in the sunshine. I carried on my walk and was headed for TianZiFang. The area took a long while to find and I was about to give up when suddenly I turned a corner and saw what I was looking for... a small passageway in between two larger buildings. This was the main entrance to the maze of alleyways and secret paths lined with stalls and shops selling all things Chinese from hand carved decorative chop sticks to postcards and travel patches for the souvenir hunters. I really enjoyed the sounds and smells and sights of the area – I stayed for almost 2 hours, after which I slumped into a subway seat and took my weary self back to the hostel. I had a few beers in the bar and went out with a couple of the guys to get a quick dinner and called that a night.

Qibao
Jade Buddha (above)
Jing'An (below)
On the Saturday morning I got the subway out of the city a little to find a small water town, Qibao. There was a river and some nice bridges but mostly what I saw was people. PEOPLE EVERYWHERE. At one point as I attempted to stroll around, I was convinced that if I lifted both feet up I would have been carried along with the flow of people. I cut my losses and left the area pretty sharpish. I caught the subway to the north side of the city to visit some temples. I started at the Jade Buddha temple. It was crowded with people there for New Years prayers but it was far more tranquil than the water village. I walked around breathing in the air think from burning incense and stopped by the carp pool to sit in the sunshine. Afterwards, I visited the Jing’an temple closer to the centre of town. This temple was much larger with a central staircase leading up to one of the main prayer halls. It was beautifully decorated and the clear blue skies and sunshine made me decide it was time to go back to the financial district to see the view from the top of those skyscrapers!

SWFC
I was able to see for miles and miles from the 100th floor of the SWFC building and the highest observation deck in the world. It was clear enough to get some fantastic photographs and to really be able to say that I saw all of Shanghai during my short stay! I’m not one for heights whatsoever but I’m really glad I went up there. There’s a cafĂ© a couple of floors below the main observation deck where I watch the sun fade. I was absolutely exhausted but chuffed with my full day. I headed back to the hostel after getting some steamed dumplings and black bean something for dinner.

Yayoi Kusama
The next morning I was up and packed by 9:30am but enjoyed a long breakfast in the hostel bar before checking out but leaving my bag in the store room for a couple of hours. There was just one last thing I wanted to tick off my list before leaving for the journey back to Korea and that was the Museum of Contemporary Art Shanghai (MoCAS) – conveniently just a 10 minute walk from the hostel. The Yayoi Kusama solo exhibition, I Dreamed A Dream was excellent and I’m glad I made time to see it. I got there around 11am and spent a couple of hours exploring the various rooms. It was a lot of fun – especially the “Obliteration Room” – and I would urge anyone who has the chance to see any of her work to go see it.

The flight back was straight forward and I arrived back at my apartment around midnight. Shanghai is a great city. It has everything you might want from a short city-break... museums, temples, monuments, theatres, beautiful parks and gardens, riverside activities, a good nightlife… the list goes on.
Highly recommended!

Until next time,

Bren.







No comments:

Post a Comment